David is a 15th-century renaissance sculpture conceived in marble by the Italian artist Michelangelo. This 17-feet biblical marble statue of David is a favoured art theme in Florence. In 1504, on 8th-September, the statue was unveiled in the public square of Piazza Della Signoria, the seat of Florence’ municipal government. Even so, David was formerly appointed to be placed at the Florence Cathedral. Because of the characteristics of the figure, the statue promptly began to typify the municipal sovereignty integrated into the Republic of Florence. Back then, Florence, the autonomous city-state felt intimidated by the power of the Medici family. In 1873, the statue was relocated to Galleria Dell’Accademia and reinstated by a replica.
The replica of the legendary statue at Florence Piazza lounges beside the most phenomenal views of the city. Beset by imitations of figurative sculptures from San Lorenzo’ Medici Chapels, this Michelangelo’s David appears patrolling the city from above. In the 1860s, Giuseppe Poggi designed and built Piazzale Michelangelo. The bronze imitation of Michelangelo’s David rises in the middle of the piazza. Giuseppe Poggi also curated a museum for Michelangelo’s works, however, today the building serves as the Ristorante La Loggia, with superb city views. Many replicas of David have been raised, globally, however, the most famous statue is still the Florence one. Usually, this bronze David is encircled, by merchants who have their shops installed near the base.