These interesting facts about Sweden will blow your mind! To begin with, Sweden banned spanking and other corporal punishments of children in 1979. Children are the future of our world, therefore raising them right is utterly important. In fact, parents are entitled to 480 days of paid parental leave when a child is born or adopted.
- Do you know, that the famous band Abba wore ridiculous outfits to avoid taxes? It is because Sweden imposed less tax for clothing not meant to be worn every day!
- Sweden’s Volvo made the 3-point seatbelt design patent available for other car manufacturers to use for free. Talk about generosity and mass interest! As a matter of fact, this seatbelt design saves one life every 6 minutes.
- You can’t name your child Ikea or Elvis in Sweden.
Interesting Swedish Facts
- A former king of Sweden (Eric of Pomerania) became a pirate after he lost his throne.
- In Sweden, homosexuality was termed as an illness in 1979. Therefore, Swedes protested by calling in sick to work, claiming they felt gay. Swedes have a wicked sense of humour, don’t they?
- Blood donors receive a Thank you text in Sweden when they first donate blood. Thereafter, they also receive a text when their blood is used to help others.
- Sweden witnessed its “Dagen H” day on September 3, 1967, when driving traffic switched from the left-hand side of the road to the right.
The Fascinating Points about Sweden
Regardless of Sweden being a military power and one of the world’s largest producers of weapons, it has chosen not to participate in any war for almost 2 centuries. Indeed, Sweden is a beautiful country with amazing people, iconic landmarks and wide archipelago. Stroll by the tranquil marina, to spot innumerable yachts parked by the bay. Enjoy a picnic in one of the lush gardens or dine at the best Mediterranean restaurants. There’s a lot to do in this fascinating country, including shopping.